With 24 hour notice, inspectors can be scheduled from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. The best time to reach an inspector in the office is between 7:30 - 8:30 a.m. or 3 – 4 p.m.

Contact the office of Hiawatha Community Development for meeting agendas at 319-393-1515 or view our current Planning & Zoning Board and Board of Adjustment agendas and minutes.

Yes. The cut-off date is the last day you can submit a case for the next month's case cycle. Cases of this nature would include site plans, rezonings, plats, conditional uses or variances. The cut-off day is normally noon on the Monday, 4 weeks preceding the Planning & Zoning Commission meeting. Contact our staff at 319-393-1515 for further information, or check the Planning & Zoning Board or Board of Adjustment pages for submittal deadline dates.

There are several ways to find out who owns property. Current ownership records are maintained by the County Auditor’s Office. You will need to know the address for the property, its Geo-Parcel Number (GPN), or its legal description. If you know any of these you may call the Auditor’s Office at 319-892-5300. If you just know the general location but do not have any of the specific information listed above, you will need to visit either the Auditor’s Office or the Community Development Department to look at maps and have the staff help you determine current ownership. Ownership records are a matter of public information.

Offices are located in the Administrative Office Building: 930 1st Street SW in Cedar Rapids. The Auditor’s Office is located on the 2nd floor; Planning and Development is on the 1st floor.

  • 2021 International Building Code
  • 2021 International Residential Code
  • 2020 NEC (National Electrical Code / NFPA70)
  • 2021 International Mechanical Code
  • 2021 Uniform Plumbing Code - As adopted by the State of Iowa
  • 2021 International Fire Code

Codebooks may be viewed and obtained from the International Conference of Building Officials at www.iccsafe.org.

City Ordinances may be viewed and obtained at https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/hiawatha/latest/overview.

Separate Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing permits are required. Application for a building permit requires the submittal of two sets of construction drawings with a site plan. For submittal requirements and permit applications click here. Plans are thoroughly reviewed by an inspector for code compliance before issuance of the building permit.

Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing permits must be obtained and work must be performed by contractors licensed in the respective trade.

Generally, permits are required to erect, alter, enlarge or demolish a structure. Permits are required for work including, but not limited to, new construction, remodeling, repair (other than minor, normal maintenance repairs), re-roofing, vinyl siding and fence installation. For permit exceptions click here.

Apply, in person, at the Community Development Department, main floor of the City Hall Building; 101 Emmons Street, Hiawatha, Iowa 52233. Office hours are from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Permit applications can also be submitted on-line through the permitting portal on the Community Development page.

It varies depending upon the type of construction, complexity of the project, and completeness of documents submitted with the application. For simple residential work, such as construction of decks, porches or detached garages, re-roofing and installation of vinyl siding, permits are usually issued over-the-counter but do need to be reviewed. Commercial projects may take up to several weeks to review.

Building permit fees are generally based on the total cost of construction and are shown in the Building Permit Fee Table. Click here for the permit fee schedule.

A description of the project, the use of the structure and an electronic set of plans. Click here for a detailed list of submittal requirements.

Contact the Community Development Department at 319-393-1515 X6 to schedule an appointment with the inspectors.

Yes. Each trade involved in a project must be permitted separately identifying the work being performed and who is doing it.

Generally, plumbing, mechanical and electrical contractor licenses are required to obtain a permit and perform work in Hiawatha. However, if you live in and own your single-family home, you may do your own plumbing, mechanical or electrical work. You must obtain a permit and the work must comply with all applicable codes.

Yes, a permit is required. A maximum of two layers of shingles may be on a roof. If there are already two layers on the roof, they must be torn off before a new layer can be put on.

Permit holders must call to arrange for each inspection and prior to covering or concealing the work. In most cases, inspections will be performed within one workday of the request. Rough-In and final inspections require 24 hour notice. Call 319-393-1515 X6 to arrange for an inspection.

Permits expire within 180 days if work is not started on the project. However, permits may be granted an extension for justifiable cause and with a written request.

Yes. Finaling of permits has always been required as part of the permit process.

Failure to obtain a required permit may result in an investigation fee added to the cost of the permit and may also result in the issuance of a municipal infraction.

The contractor performing electrical, plumbing or mechanical work must be licensed. Hiawatha requires that these contractors be licensed in order to obtain a permit.

Ask for at least two references of prior work done and check them out.

Make sure all agreements are in writing.

Do not pay an excessive front-end deposit.

Make absolutely sure they obtain the required permits and call for and pass the required inspections. The contractor should be the one to purchase the permit. Do not offer to purchase the permit for the contractor.

In most cases, State law requires that contractors carry workers compensation insurance. Ask to see a certificate of insurance.

A building setback is the required distance that a building (structure) must be located from the property lines. Typically, setbacks and yard requirements are determined by your zoning classification. Contact community development for specific setbacks on your property.

Yes, a permit is required for a fence. Click here for more information on required permits.

Yes, a building permit is required to assure that the structure is located far enough from property lines. Exception: residential sheds less than 120 square feet.

Yes. Any decision made by the Zoning Administrator may be appealed to the Board of Adjustment when it is alleged that there was an error made by the Administrator. In addition, the Board may vary some of the regulations of the Ordinance when complying with the Ordinance would create an unnecessary hardship. An application for an appeal or variance request may be obtained at the Community Development Department offices. Applications must be completed and include the required filing fee before the application will be accepted.

Yes, under certain limitations. Contact Community Development for more information regarding business regulations.